Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Jury of His Peers (Pt. 5)


The Trial

All this took place on a Monday. Freedom was not ours till late afternoon.  Courtroom gossip and our speculation from group discussions led us to estimate the trial should last for two or three days.

All day Tuesday, I was on edge.  The trial.  I wondered. I pondered. I ran movies of it in my head, imagining all sorts of scenarios. Focusing on anything was not to be mine today.  By mid afternoon, I knew.  I had to go.  Simple as that. I was hopelessly drawn in, like moth to flame.

So, come Wednesday morning early, I was on my way.  Hurriedly I passed through the security area, and raced up the stairs to the courtroom. Elevators are notoriously slow, especially when you need them, and I just had to get to court (never thought I’d be saying that – ever).

Eagerly, I entered the courtroom, only to be greeted by - nothing!  The courtroom was empty, save for courtroom staff.  The trial was over!  Well, at least the actual “trial” part. In the back of the room, last row in the spectator section, I chatted up the court police officer.  The trial went rather quickly. The prosecution and defense presented their respective cases and summations were completed, all in one long day.

The court was in recess for now, while the judge made preparations to give the jury final instructions before deliberations began. The “charge” to the jury was all that was left. I was the only spectator present, and drew some quizzical glances until one of the judge’s assistants asked what I was doing there.  I knew that was coming, from the second I entered the room. It was written all over their faces. Once I explained, they returned to relaxation mode and talked freely.

From the courtroom banter I gathered that the trial had not gone well for the defendant. Oh, how I wished I had come to court Tuesday.  Now I really missed seeing how both sides presented their case.  Did they act like we see on television and the movies?  I would guess not, given their conduct throughout this entire matter. What did the witnesses say?  How did they act, and look?  What were the turning points?  Were there any dramatic moments?  I’ll never know.

Soon, it was time be reconvene.  The attorneys appeared, and occupied their fancy chairs.  The judge took his seat.  The jurors were still sequestered in their room.  Everyone just sat and mostly stared at each other, and a strange, nervous silence commenced. It was as if everyone was waiting for something to happen, yet no one made a move to do anything.  What’s holding things up, I wondered.  Then I saw the reason, directly in front of me, hiding in plain sight all this time. A solitary chair.  It did not swivel.  It was the defendant’s chair – and it was empty!

Mark Twain Quote: “The humorist who invented trial by jury played a colossal practical joke upon the world, but since we have the system we ought to try and respect it.”

Stay tuned...final chapter coming next....promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment