Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Versatile Fenway

One of my little editors, bless her, is politely trying to mold my mindset to accept the idea of publishing more "posts" in 2014 than I did in 2013.  My original goal when this all started was to do one a week. A mere 52 posts a year.  HA!  Fool!

Little did I realize that a) life sometimes gets in the way of things, and b) some posts require lots of research and effort.  That should not have surprised me, but it did … and it took me off guard.  My first year, I published 35 posts, last year, 36.  This year, who knows.  But at least I should take a stab at it, I suppose.  OK, challenge accepted….this year, it's 37 (or more) or bust!  So, beware, you'll see some "fillers" now and then as I work on deeper, more involved posts (I happen to have 2 in the hopper now).  Just a heads up folks.

Of course, this particular one of my sometimes, when they feel like it, part time, volunteer editors, is an accomplished author with many books, articles, and essays on her resume, so she is obviously one organized little dynamo. And the planter of ideas.  Hmmm, the more I think of it, I do believe one of my posts this year should be about her.  How's that for an idea?

This one is a filler, yet it isn't, 'cause it's about one of my favorite and most dear places on this whole earth. I mean Fenway Park, of course.  But it isn't just Fenway, as I can't separate it from the entire rest of what I also love by extension.  I speak of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  From Amherst to Boston, from Cape Ann (a nice visit in its own right) to Cape Cod, there is just something about this entire corner of the world that warms me, calms me, refreshes me, inspires me.  Driving in and around Boston remains a notable exception, of course.

It isn't just because I used to work there, kinda.  It's not just because of all the friends I have there.  It's about the land itself, from Rockwell, to Quincy, to the Bourne, to Gloucester, to the Berkshires.

But I digress….back to Fenway.  One of the things that happens infrequently, but with vengence when it does, is to snow heavily and mightily in the Boston area.  Once a year or so, the news will have a story to tell about my favorite city being socked in by a storm, or a Nor'easter, as they are sometimes known.

What do Bostonians do in such cases?  They rise up and make the best of things…they make fun where they can, and for the rest, they make Strong.

I include two pictures of Fenway Park after the last storm.  Or should I say The Fenway Sled Park.  Now here, they took the lemon and came up lemonade.  No sense wasting a good pile of snow, thanks to the home of the World Champs. Frugal and inventive folks, these New Englanders.




Mark Twain Quote:  "Tomorrow night I appear for the first time before a Boston  audience -- 4000 critics."

No comments:

Post a Comment