Friday, September 5, 2014

Vivien Revisited

To refresh your transient memory, take a quick look at Blog Post “Vivien Oswell,” which appeared on August 26, 2013.

It was with some minor, but real trepidation, that I visited Art in the Park this year while at Cape Cod.  Walking from my car to the show, I searched (from too great a distance to be of any value) with worried eyes for that familiar face I have come to expect would always be there, but knew deep beyond denial that God offered me no such guarantee. 

I entered the park and for the first time had a clear view of that spot on the grounds that has been hers for as long as I can remember.  Ah, relief. I recognized the paintings first, and then, around the corner, in the rear of the display, there she sat, like she was presiding over the entire affair. Smiling, contented, and finishing off her Dunkin Donuts snack, Vivien looked like she owned the park, which of course, she did. 

My first impression, my glorious lasting impression, was that she looked wonderful. Though a year older than the picture in the Blog, she actually looked to me to be younger.  This remarkable woman is aging in reverse.  Her skin looked more radiant, and smoother.  Her smile was broad, and livelier than I remember.  Her wit was spot on. A short conversation calmed my remaining fears.  Vivien, I am happy to report, is better than ever!

How the woman does it is beyond my comprehension, but I attributed it (because that’s what I wanted to do) to her Dunkin Diet.  I wished her another year of health and happiness, then, satisfied that she looked better than most of the patrons at the show, and had at least another million miles to go, I headed for the nearest Dunkin Donuts (across the parking lot) for a little snack.  No fool, I learn quickly - I definitely had to have what she was having.

But seriously, have you ever noticed, unofficially speaking, that artists do tend to live long, productive lives.  Oh, to possess that remarkable talent.  Sadly, I am still stuck on stick figures.  See you next year Vivien…


Mark Twain Quote:  “I believe I have had the most trouble with a portrait which I painted in installments – the head on one canvas and the bust on another.”

No comments:

Post a Comment