Thursday, April 23, 2015

So Close - Yet So Far

Oh, the places your blog will go.  Apologizes to Dr. Seuss.  Just a few weeks ago, I received an email from a gentleman at the Harwich Chamber of Commerce.  Seems he was surfing the internet for information on Vivien Oswell, my favorite Cape Cod artist.  He found my blog, and even more important, read my profile, which gave him my blog email address, which lead to this.  Oh, the places your blog will go.

The Chamber publishes a magazine annually that is targeted for all the folks who visit the Cape every year.  It is filled with advertisements, information, and special articles about all the good things that make Harwich so special. For the 2015 edition, he informed me, the Chamber was doing an article that featured Vivien. 

Two years ago (has it been that long?) I did a blog post on Vivien (Vivien Oswell – 8/16/2013), and in that post is a photograph I took of her sitting with her paintings at Art in the Park, a weekly outdoor art show that runs the entire summer season in Harwich Port.  The official asked permission to use that photograph in the article, and I of course quickly said yes!  How cool is that, to have one of my pictures in an article about my favorite Cape artist.  I was so looking forward to seeing that.
 
My almost published photograph of Vivien
However, the creative process had other ideas.  As he explained, they found a slightly different one that they wanted to use. But he did tell me he liked the article. I’m really glad he enjoyed it, and that is some consolation, but the inclusion of my picture of Vivien – well, that would have been an honor.  

Tourist season is fast approaching, and the magazine is now published.  You can view it online.  Google “harwichcc” and that will bring you to the Chamber website.  Scroll down to the bottom and in the middle you will see the magazine.  Open it to page 20 and read another delightful article on a true Cape treasure. Then, read my blog post on Vivien. By the way, that article on Vivien is my most read post ever on the blog!

If you head for the Cape this summer, please stop and see her if you get the chance.  You’ll be better for the experience. Art in the Park takes place every Monday in the little park across from the Post Office. Vivien is usually on the right as you walk into the park.  And say hi to her for me, as it looks like I may not make the Cape this year.  Talk about depressed. You have no idea. 


Mark Twain Quote: “A photograph is a most important document, and there is nothing more damning to go down to posterity that a silly, foolish smile caught and fixed forever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment