Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Larry the Lobster


As long as we’re in a Cape Cod state of mind, we must talk about one of the most important attractions the Cape has to offer - I speak now of lobster! 

Specifically, I’m referring to the lobster roll, but you can, depending on your preference, just as easily say:  lobster dinner, lobster breakfast, lobster anything.

Other than Maine itself, I suspect Cape Cod is the most popular place in the universe for eating lobster. I remember one year I vowed to eat lobster every day I was at the Cape, and easily was able to do that, at any meal I wished.  And no, I never tired of it.  Lobster omelets are especially good!

When kids were little and the Cape was their yearly treat, they used to make lobster  “things” out of the shells…like dolls I suppose. This was usually done at the Lobster Boat restaurant.   One such creation we christened: “Larry the Lobster.”  Larry looked like he could actually walk away. I don’t know how they did it.   Nothing like breaking the kids in right - they learned their priorities early.

It is hard for me to believe that lobsters were not always so popular, or even highly thought of as food.  It wasn’t until the mid 19th century that New Yorkers and Bostonians (now there is an eclectic mix) developed a taste for them.

Prior to that, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as food for indentured servants or lower members of society in Maine, Mass., and the Maritimes.  Servants specified in employment contracts they would not eat lobster more than twice a week (fools).  Lobster originally was deemed worthy only as fertilizer or fish bait.  Perhaps this because of their inherent nature as a bottom feeder, but geez, didn’t anyone just taste them - little butter and a glass of wine? OK, that option was not available then to every person, but it would have changed their minds!

But back to present day.  My theoretical favorite lobster roll consists of lumps and lumps of lobster meat in a large hot dog roll (toasted w/butter would be nice), with a side of mayo -  simple, elegant, delicious.  I’ve had them with the meat cold and warm…love them both.

My personal quest in life is to find the perfect lobster roll.  It is one of the few things one could never tire of doing. I’ve had them from Maine to Florida, and even on the Mass Pike (yup, at a rest stop, at a “chain” restaurant).   It remains a never to be fulfilled quest, for I am always thinking – there’s a better one out there, somewhere!

So far, the most unique, and for its own reasons, best lobster roll I have encountered can be found at Chapin’s restaurant on Cape Cod.  They have 2 locations:  85 Taunton Ave in Dennis (close to Mayflower Beach) and 228 Lower County Road in Dennis Port.  Casual, inexpensive, a bit noisy, with very good food, it is a perfect Cape stop. 

They have this lobster “roll” that is different than any I have seen.  Words fall short, but a picture, well a picture is what a picture does (sorry Forrest).   Luckily, I always have camera at the ready, and food is definitely on my list of must subjects, right up there with Mark Twain’s house, Mt. Rushmore, and the Grand Canyon. 
Larry the Lobster - in a roll

Now folks, there is a bun underneath all that lobster.  The chips and slaw are just dressing for the photo, and they only get eaten if there’s any room left. 

So, if you find yourself near the Cape this summer, make this one of your “must” stops, and you’d better order the lobster roll.  Or, if you’re really lazy, you can order just a bowl of hot, buttered lobster meat – heavenly!

Mark Twain Quote:  “Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.”




No comments:

Post a Comment