Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Favorite Movies


Notice please I did not say favorite movie.  That is because I don’t have one!  (well, if gun + pointed at  head were a part of the equation, I could come up with a name)  But seriously, how?  The concept of a favorite movie is, has to be, a moving target.  So many films have been made over so many years, that to have one as your favorite seems to me….impossible.

So I’ve developed another way of categorizing my favorite movies:  into groups of five that represent my treasures as I conjure them up, at any given moment in time. 

And what are the criteria for a movie to be one of my favorites?  There is only one. It has to be a movie I am able to view over and over and over again, and enjoy it the last time I see it just as much as the very first time I watched it. 

So today I offer you five of my favorites, with the caveat that they are just five among many.  And I list them just as they come into my head.  If you ask me a month from now what my favorites are, I would give you five different titles. 

So with that in mind we will visit this topic every now and again, and see just how they do change. 

For today, my five favorites are:

1.     Dave
2.     Sabrina*
3.     Amistad**
4.     The King's Speech
5.     Braveheart

1995 Version Poster

David and Sabrina - 1954 Version

*For me, any films made in the decade of the 50s and prior qualify for the title “Classic.”  They belong to another category, another time, and should be treated separately.  In a very few cases, I do make an exception, and this is one such time.  Both versions, the ’95 (Ford, Kinnear,and Ormond) and the ’54 (Bogart, Holden, and Hepburn), are films I love equally and I must include both on any list I make.

**I just watched this again. I can never watch this movie without being visibly moved.


Mark Twain Quote:  “When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment