Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Why Blog? (Part 2)


At certain times in life (and I’ve experienced two such in my recent past, this being one), everyone needs someone, even when they don’t yet know they need them, or why, or even who they are.

Such was my state in life, when one day over 3 years ago, I chanced to over hear two little old (ok, not that old) ladies while leaving the YMCA.  Bit and pieces were all I could take in - something about Maureen Green, and blog, and the internet.

What was a blog, I wondered?  I knew who Maureen Green was - the extremely popular evening news anchor for a station that shall not be named for their short sighted stupidity in relieving her of her position.  Caused quite the stir, and deservedly so, when it happened at Christmas time in 2007.  Christmas time…it never ceases to amaze me that real people actually make such decisions. Or are allowed to.

So I decided to check it out, and the rest, as they say, was kismet.  Maureen’s blog was in its infancy in 2009. I found it so interesting, and easy to read. I didn’t even know why, at first.  But soon I did.  It was not only the very nature of her blog. It was the style of her writing ... the unique way she could communicate her ideas and opinions with the written word.

Maureen has an ideal forum.  She does not have a focused subject around which her every “post” revolves.  Maureen simply comments on just about anything that strikes her fancy, and her fancy gets around.  I find it a delightful exercise – to open her blog to see what the current object of her curiosity is.  She can talk about cooking one day and the murder of a small child the next, and make both fit seamlessly into the fabric of her blog.

I noticed that several people made “comments” to her posts.  These people would in some fashion add to the subject matter at hand, and Maureen would sometimes answer them.  I slowly began to add comments now and then.  I didn’t think them special or in any way different.  They were simply words that just came to me.  I had never written anything of this nature before in my life. 

Then, an unusual thing happened.  Maureen would sometimes answer me as well.  I can’t remember the exact wording, or the occasion, or the sequence, or if there even was a sequence, but she was basically telling me that she thought I was a good writer.  Imagine that.  Maureen Green was telling me  I was a good writer.  Heady stuff.

Then, once or twice, Maureen actually said that she thought I was the better writer, and that I should have a blog of my own…that I ought to at least think about doing one.  Took me awhile to digest that one.

But eventually, I did. I was hooked.  The seed was planted.  Writing was fun for me…it was simply something I liked to do. The more I mused, the more I thought that this might be the very thing I was looking to do in retirement that was “different.”  See “Why Blog?  Part 1.”  Different – I guess doing something you had never done before in your life qualifies as being as different as different can be. 

So, off to blog I went.  As is my usual approach to things, I headed for Barnes & Noble to find material on blogging…and found the perfect book (“Creative Blogging” by Heather Wright-Porto).  What kind of blog to write? No problem, I just copied (imitation is …) Maureen’s format … to write about anything that interested me. After a few months of tinkering, on Nov. 30, 2011, the blog was born. 

Then, one winter day, I actually met Maureen, her own self, at a Dunkin Donuts.  I told her of my blog, and I ended up sharing a coffee with one of the most delightful people I ever met.  Funny, gregarious, an open book, she freely shared her knowledge and precious time helping me with ideas for my blog.  I sat at the feet of the master (well, not literally).  Far too soon, we parted, but I took with me the feeling that I had known her for a long time.  She promised she would read it now and then.  I hope she enjoys it whenever she does. 

So, thank you Maureen Green.  When I was looking for that “something” to do, and had no idea what it was, you and your blog showed up in my life and that, as Robert Frost would say, that has made all the difference.  Without you, this blog would not exist. 

PS...you can find Maureen at:  maureengreencny.com
UPDATE:  You can now find Maureen at:  maureenonthecape.com



Mark Twain Quote:  "The compliment that helps us on our way is not the one that is shut up in the mind, but the one that is spoken out."

No comments:

Post a Comment