Friday, November 30, 2012

Happy Birthday Blog (and Sam too!)


Happy Birthday Blog!  Exactly one year ago, on the 176th birthday of Samuel L. Clemens, this experiment was born. My blog is one! One year old. I shake my head in wonder and amazement that a full year has passed since my first post.  Folks, quite literally, it seems like yesterday that I published a post titled “First Official Blog - With Mark Twain.”  I did, if you’re the type who checks these things, have one post before that, but it was only  “A Test” as you can see.

Since then I’ve published a total of 32 posts, which doesn’t quite match my original goal of a post a week. That is partly due to the education I received in this first year.  Writing can be a tough and frustrating endeavor. There are more ideas flooding into my head than words pouring out. In the little anal corner of my world that wants all things perfect, I relentlessly research for accuracy. I write, then write again, and yet again.  Writing, dear readers, takes time.  But then, I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw either.

Writing is also a very rewarding exercise.  I have learned new things and I have grown in many respects.  I see things differently now.  Writing compels you to do that.  It forces you to think, and to consciously look at the world in a different way.  Why, it’s kind of like you’re sitting on a Fence Post, and an eclectic one at that.  Hmm, how’s that for a Blog name? Clemens once wrote that travel is fatal to prejudice.  In part, I think the same can be said for writing.

Putting words on paper I have found to be great therapy.  It has afforded me a release, a catharsis if you will.  It took me to places I could not imagine.  Writing unburdens the soul.  It frees the spirit.  It brings order to your universe.  It empties your well, and there is joy in seeing it fill again, and again.

One funny characteristic of this, or any blog I presume, is that I have no idea who is reading my little published musings.  The “stats” provided by the blog host consist only of the number of visits the blog receives and the country of origin. 

Many, many thanks are due to the following:  Good ‘ol USA, Russia, Germany, Ukraine, France, Canada, Malaysia, Brazil, the UK, China (uh, could we borrow a couple of bucks?), Vietnam, Armenia, and from way down under, Australia!   It boggles my mind that someone in Australia actually reads this thing!  And – Vietnam?  The internet, what a concept. For you statistical types out there, the USA accounts for 81% of my visits, while 2nd and 3rd place go to Russia (yo, comrade!) and Germany (ein bier bitte) respectively.  

And, for what it’s worth, I just passed the 1,000  mark on the “visit” list.  That is actually better than I thought I would do. With rare exceptions, I certainly have not publicized the Fence Post.  I’m not famous or widely known like Maureen Green (see: Why Blog – Part 2, 10/23), so there was never any automatic following happening here.  Who would ever find me anyway?  Basically, I am star #EM-269 in the Andromeda constellation.  So, all in all, I’m pretty happy that this little corner of cyber space has been visited over 1,000 times.

I can’t wait to see how all this changes over the next year.  I can’t wait to see what thoughts find their way into my head.  I can’t wait to see the words unborn.  That’s what’s really cool about this – I have no idea what’s around the next corner.  Let’s go see! 
  
Mark Twain Quote:  “We write frankly and fearlessly but then we “modify” before we print.”

No comments:

Post a Comment