Tuesday, January 8, 2013

But Wait ... There's More


So I get this email, and it basically says, hey, you didn’t say anything about what time you crawl into the sleeping bag or what’s your temperature tolerance.  As if I thought that anyone, on their most boring day, gave a flippin’  to that part of the routine!  So, in the interest of full disclosure, or something like that……

First of all, I’m happy to say that I don’t have a “bed time.”  Depending on the activities of the day, and/or evening, Beddy White’s Party could start anywhere from 9:30ish to 11:30 ish.  Ya know, movies, sporting events, dining, shopping, what’s on the tele - anything could … and does, influence the flicking of the switch. 

The one thing that does not, will not, could not, ever happen is for me to have a strict, unwavering, immoveable, standard, set, cast in stone, hardened in concrete…ok, you get the idea…..time for bed.  I’ve heard of people who religiously head for bed (to hence make a bed head…get it? It’s late. It's the wine talking) the second the clock chimes 9, or 9:30, or whatever.  Egads, why structure your life like that?  You’re not a train, for the crissake.

As to the other, I do remember reading some things about sleep being more restful at “lower” temperatures.  I’ve heard that 55 degrees works best. Terry Ettinger, a local and famous horticulture expert, sleeps at 55 degrees, if I remember correctly. He looks cold. Just sayin.’  Now, many years ago, I married a gal who was raised in an igloo, so I quickly abandoned my 70 degree bliss (that’s how I remember it anyway) for the ways of Nanook. 

But seeing as I do believe ice forms on one’s nose about 55 degrees, 55 is never going to happen.  That said, believe it or not, if the temperature goes north of 64, I find it too hot and have a rough time sleeping.  So friends, you can put me down for 60-62 degrees of night time comfort.  Frosty in the morning though, so up goes the thermostat, immediately.  All the way to 64.  O happy day.

There, any more “habits” need revealing? 

Mark Twain Quote:  “Go to bed early, get up early – this is wise.  … A lark is really the best thing to get up with.  .. and if you get up with the right kind of a lark, and work at him right, you can easily train him to get up at half-past nine, every time – it is no trick at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment