Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Old Mid Winter Blues


It usually happens around this time of year.  Just about half way from raking the last, stubborn leaves, to watching the grass renew spring’s promise, I’ve had it.  Too cold, too snowy, too much darkness, too confined, with cabin fever, I hit the wall.

I guess I particularly hate not being able to do something - anything, out of doors after 4:30pm.  And if that’s not bad enough, then there’s waking up in darkness every morning.  We humans really do need natural sunlight to stay sane.  How do Eskimos do it?

To save my sanity, I try to think of happier things, particularly things that I will soon be able to do, if I can just hang on for what I lie to myself will only be a few weeks.  One of my favorite tricks that helps me get thru is to begin contemplating my favorite special place, Cape Cod.  You may well say that you conjure up visions of your favorite place, the Outer Banks :) perhaps, to save your mind. Whatever it is, now is the time to start putting those thoughts and pictures in your life.  Like literally.  Like wallpaper on your computer, tablet, or phone screen.

One thing I do is head to the local fish restaurant and order up their fresh lobster roll.  It’s not the same as getting one at Chapin’s on Cape Cod, but it looks like a lobster roll, it smells like one, and it tastes like one. Though far removed from the sea and seemingly out of place, it is one – a real lobster roll.  And it sets me on the road to the Cape, as sure as can be.  Pass the mayo please.
A "Syracuse" lobster roll

There will soon be another post on the Cape, one that will definitely put me in a better Cape Cod state of mind.  And not long after that, I know that the sight of the Bourne bridge will be just over the horizon.  Or for you, the Emerald Isle bridge :) lies just around the bend.  Soon, we’ll be saved, and made whole again. 

Mark Twain Quote:  “Of course, no man is entirely in his right mind at any time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment